EDUC 8845

EDUC 8845

Monday, February 20, 2012

Module 6 - Learning Styles

Building upon previous experiences becomes essential and non-negotiable in teaching and learning. I agree with Driscoll (2002) that learning experiences should adhere to a set of principles. The underlying principles states that learning occurs in context, it is active, it is social, and it must be reflective. It is creating experiences the learner builds upon. During the experiences, reflection becomes most relevant to long-term memory. No matter which learning styles or multiple intelligences building upon a previous experience becomes critical in mastering a new concept (Dewey 1938/1997).

Progressivism is essential to my style of learning. Technology adds to progressivism, but also forces my weaker style to emerge. Online learning require the application of visual learning or spatial, the less dominant of my styles. Often I struggle with the linguistics, to understand the true objective. However technology offers many resources to supplement my deficiency (e.g.Youtube, blackboard). According to Dewey, (1938/1997) if one build upon experiences this must occur during a time frame. When there is large lapse among Q & A, my thought processes have disconnected from the topic or objective. These gaps require me to start again at the beginning. Fortunately, our digital world offer several alternatives for all learning styles (e.g. Ellumination/blackboard, Skype) provide an excellent resource for online collaboration with visuals by adding the instant gratification to questions or concerns.

References:
Dewey, J. (1938/1997). Experience and education. New York, NY: Touchstone.

Driscoll, M. P. (2001). Computers for What? Examining the Roles of Technology in Teachingand Learning. Educational Research & Evaluation, 7(2/3),

5 comments:

  1. Cheryl,

    You did a great job with your posting! What an inspiration...

    You seem to have done a fair amount of self analysis in order to come up with several examples of your own learning styles. Was that something you did for Walden? Do you know if your learning styles have changed as a result of the introduction of more and more technology in your own education?

    Thanks!

    Curt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Curt:
      I feel analyzing is all I seem to do. (LOL) It wasn't something I did for Walden, it was something I had to due because of Walden. Working toward my PhD with an online university has been one of the toughest challenges I have had to face. There has been more struggles than one could ever imagine.

      I learn my hearing, doing, and following examples. I thrive on F-2-F interaction for feedback for confirmation along my journey during assignments to make certain I truly understand the objectives. I can't count how many times I had to 'redo' papers 2 - 3'x just because I read it incorrectly.

      Truthfully, I have come to my 'own' conclusion that many may learn the same. If not, why do people normally not want to read the 'owners manual' or 'step-by-step' directions when assembling items. :-)

      Thanks,
      Cheryl

      Delete
  2. Hello Cheryl,
    You make an excellent point about the importance of developing visual and spacial literacy--especially when using online resources. This is not something we teach in schools, but we ought to consider when and where students might learn those vital skills for navigating in a digital world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a great post! Thorough and solidly supported! When you mentioned you struggled, I couldn't help but think about my own journey as a Math teacher. I was a horrible math student until college. You know, I believe it made me a better Math teacher because I understood what it was like to "not get it." I worked hard to ensure that didn't happen. It sounds like you do the same with your linguistics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carol:
      As a Math teacher, myself, I tell my students it is not always about the destination (aka answer) it is about the journey one takes to arrive (aka the way they solve). I use metaphors with my students trying to encourage them to attach some type of 'real life' connection.
      The lastest is the K-W-P-C concept for all problem solving, not just math. K- everything I know about the topic/issue; W- what I am trying to achieve or want to know; P- what plan will I choose to accomplish my "W" or task; and C- check to make sure I am following my own directions and I truly addressing/answering the question.
      All I have to do is say the words and my students give me that look, but they begin to use the concept.
      Take Care,
      Cheryl

      Delete