EDUC 8845

EDUC 8845

Sunday, August 5, 2012

Module 5 - Red Queens and Increasing Returns


Trying to locate movies by Philip K. Dick was more difficult than expected. Being a member of Netflix, I first sorted through their inventory, although could not find a single title by Philip Dick in their library. My second attempt took me to Redbox and Blockbuster Express. Unfortunately, both led me down an unsuccessful path. Thirdly, I ventured to Amazon.com in the effort to purchase one of Mr. Dick's DVDs. Screening through the many vendors, I made the attempt to choose a company offering overnight delivery. Unfortunately, upon finalization of the order, the delivery time reflexed 14 days into the future. The Ohio Company gladly canceled my order and refunded the sale. This led me with the only option to purchase the video-on-demand, although it became required to select among the many companies offering the movies at various prices.


I took comfort in settling to downloading Philip Dick's Paycheck through Amazon’s Instant View believing in the reputation of their services. The last thing I desired to happen would be downloading an internet bug or virus through an unknown company just to save a buck or two.

I think the current competition between DVDs and video-on-demand is an example of Red Queens as the two race through completion, (Laureate, 2009). DVDs offered by mail through Netflix, in addition to the local kiosk, offer selections at a lower price, although have limited inventory. The multiple, convenient locations entice viewers to venture the short distance to save on cost. Nevertheless, in addition to, instances described above in selecting my sci-fi movie, video-on-demand sales increase during times of sickness, as well as, rainy days.

Kiosks, DVDs by mail and video-on-demand have driven the traditional movie rental franchise into obsolescence as their completion intensified, (Thornburg, 2008c). Blockbusters and Hollywood Movies stores have closed doors and diminished throughout the bay area.

Resources:

Laureate Education, Inc. (2009) Increasing returns. Baltimore, MD: Author.

Thornburg, D. (2008c). Emerging Technologies and McLuhan's Laws of Media. Lake Barrington, IL: Thornburg Center for Space Exploration.


3 comments:

  1. Cheryl; what a hassle and valid points just to view a movie. At one time when I worked for a cargo airline, we flew two large aircraft per day from Dallas full of Blockbuster movies. The current demand would probably fit into a minivan.
    The people I notice in video stores seem to wander aimlessly as the selection and availability has waned towards slim pickins.

    Personally, I find few movies that are not a rendition of previous works. Most strive to amaze us with new computer enhanced digital wonders. Very passe, in my opinion.

    David

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheryl,
    I would agree that VOD will more than likely replace DVD/Blu-ray unless a wild card comes a long to knock them both out, but there are still many people who love building their movie collections (DVD). Someday we will just be storing them on hard drives (or some other storage system) instead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Price is the only reason DVDs will remain alive. When movies are offered (legally) for free, then DVD may become obsolete.

    ReplyDelete